Naomi, the founder of Better Batter, is one of the most inspiring women I have ever met. You can read the whole story on her website, but here is the gist:
Naomi has two sons, one of whom was diagnosed with low functioning autism. Unable to communicate, he seemed to be in a great deal of physical pain. Their doctor heard about an ‘interesting new thing called Celiac Disease’ and suggested testing him. Sure enough he was very positive. After just six weeks on the gluten free diet, his health not only improved, but he also spoke his first sentence – “Mommy, I love you.”
(Did your heart just burst in a thousand pieces like mine did? I’m not crying, you’re crying….)
Pretty soon both Naomi and her second son were diagnosed with Celiac Disease, as well. Back in 2006 there weren’t very many good gluten free options. Wanting a gluten free flour that would make her family’s traditional recipes both look and taste the same, Naomi literally had a dream about a cup for cup flour. She woke up, raced to the kitchen and Better Batter was born.
Quick Better Batter facts:
- Certified gluten free
- Made in a facility that is free of milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, wheat, soy, fish, crustacean/shellfish, mustard, sesame, and corn.
- Most products do not contain sulfites
- GMO free
- Kosher OU Parve
- No dyes or artificial flavors/preservatives
- Vegan appropriate
- Packaged in recycled and recyclable boxes, printed with vegetable ink (cool!)
Better Batter’s product line includes:
- All Purpose Flour (cup for cup)
- Seasoned Flour
- Pancake & Biscuit Mix
- Fudge Brownie Mix
- Yellow Cake Mix
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Corn Free Powdered Sugar
- Gift Cards (great for the holidays!)
Better Batter also donates at least 10% of their net profits to social and charitable causes. They donate to food banks and partner with organizations that support solar power/sustainable agriculture, clean water, the autism community, foster/adoption care, hunger relief, and the Celiac Disease community. Also, on their website you can find an additional “financial aid” program and application:
“We believe everyone should have the ability to eat healthy, enjoyable food. And gluten free foods are not always cheap. That’s why, as a part of your community, Better Batter is committed to offering special pricing to families with limited income, families with children with autism, college students and other households with extraordinary circumstances.”
My heart is bursting! Thank you, Better Batter, for going above and beyond in your dedication to so many communities.
While you can find literally hundreds of recipes on their website (you will seriously never get bored of their mixes) I am bringing you a recipe direct from the Tasty Meditation kitchen! I recently made these cupcakes for Kristopher’s birthday, and they were a huge hit. So delicious and bursting with flavor. We gave some leftovers to my neighbors and doormen, and their faces lit up. Better Batter is going to make me very popular.
Better Batter Coconut Cupcakes
For the cake:
- 1 box Better Batter Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut (do not pack down)
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz butter (room temperature)
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cake mix, milk, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Use a spoon to fold in the coconut.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or use a nonstick muffin pan. Pour the batter evenly and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cake immediately and let cool before frosting.
- For the cream cheese frosting – use a hand mixer to cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until all is incorporated and smooth.
To purchase Better Batter products – check local stores, order directly on www.betterbatter.org, or purchase on amazon.com (prime eligible).
GIVEAWAY! One lucky winner will receive 6 BOXES of various Better Batter mixes! Enter via the rafflecopter link below. Continental US residents only. Giveaway ends Friday December 30th 11:59 EST.
Disclaimer: I received samples of these products, but I was not paid to write this review. All opinions are my own, and I only recommend products that I, myself, use and love.